Sunday, August 10, 2008

whole wheat bread

Homemade whole wheat bread is one of my favorite things to eat, with its thin crust and tender but substantial middle. Mom always made this when I was growing up. On baking days, we'd have it for lunch, fresh from the oven.












whole wheat bread

4 C very warm water
1/8 C yeast
1/3 C oil
1/3 C honey
1 TB salt
1/8 C dough enhancer
11-12 C freshly ground wheat flour (white wheat, ground on finest setting)


Mix yeast and 6 C flour with water. Let sponge for 15 minutes. Add oil, honey, salt, and 5 C flour. Knead 6 minutes. Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes. Dump on floured surface. Cut into thirds, form loaves, and place in greased pans.

Preheat oven to 350. Place bread in pans on top of stove to rise 15 minutes. Then bake for 30-35 minutes.

3 comments:

MsKathy said...

Do you think you could knead this in a stand mixer? I mean, I am sure I could knead for 6 minutes.. if I figured out how heh.

ambrosia ananas said...

Oh, absolutely. I always use a mixer when I make this bread, and so does my mom. I've heard that you actually get better bread using a mixer, anyway. : )

Avery B said...

Awesome blog you hhave here